School Buses: Alternatively Flashing School Bus Lights
With Overhead Red Lights Only
- Overhead red lights are flashing and bus is moving-- prepare to stop.
- Overhead red lights are flashing and bus is stopped. Stop no closer than 20 feet from the bus.
- Proceed when red lights are turned off and it is safe to do so.
With Alternately Flashing Overhead Red and Yellow Lights
- Overhead yellow lights are flashing--prepare to stop.
- Overhead red lights are flashing. Stop no closer than 20 feet
- from the bus
Proceed when red lights are turned off and it is safe to do so.
All School Buses
Yellow hazard warning lights are flashing on moving or stopped bus -- proceed with caution.
It is not necessary to stop for a school bus that has stopped on the other side of a divided highway where the road is separated by a barrier, such as a concrete or grass median, island, or other structures that separate the flow of traffic. Use extra care around buses and in school zones. Children are small and hard to see and may dart into the street or out from around parked vehicles.